Outreach Support | Supported Living | Complex Care | Care at Home | Adults | Children

Disability Living Allowance


What is Disability Allowance?

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit for people who have a physical or mental disability, need help to care for themselves, or need someone to supervise them. It’s also for people who need help getting around.

What happens if I am an adult and I am currently getting DLA?

DLA for adults is gradually being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you were born after 8 April 1948 and you currently get DLA, you may be asked to claim PIP instead. You will not have the choice to stay on DLA. You’ll be sent a letter explaining the change. Unless your circumstances change, you don’t need to do anything until you get this letter.

If you were born on or before 8 April 1948, you’ll continue to get DLA as long as you’re eligible for it.

Children can continue to claim DLA until they’re 16.

Some people are entitled to carry on claiming DLA:

  • Children under the age of 16, and
  • People born on or before 8 April 1948 with an existing claim

Everyone else will have to apply for PIP. If you are receiving DLA but have to move over to PIP, you will continue getting DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions writes to you or your appointee inviting you to apply. Your benefits will not automatically move from DLA to PIP so you will need to reapply, otherwise you could lose your benefits.

Do I still have to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) even if I have been awarded a lifetime or indefinite award for Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?

If you are between the ages of 16 and 64 and have been awarded a ‘lifetime’ or ‘indefinite’ award for DLA, you will still need to apply for PIP as your DLA will come to an end.

More information about Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

jackson-david-SrunqRT0A34-unsplash (1)